[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dashes and fonts

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:43:10 -0800

Hi, as for me, a hyphen is different from a dash for reasons Sue Stevens
and Roger Bailey stated; however if one is using a dash in Braille one
doesn't put a space before or after it contrary to works in print. The
important thing is I understand the difference between hyphens and
dashes even though my screen reader may not. I also learned that two
hyphens constituted one dash and said dash was used to isolate a phrase
in a sentence to amplify or illustrate what came before it and
connecting that with what comes after it. A hyphen divides a word when
one reaches the end of a line or for compound words. At one time, one
would always write to-day rather than as today, cook-book rather than
cookbook, etc. I suspect people who spent time as secretaries as my
mother did had definite ideas about the difference between hyphens and
dashes. I believe she told me about such when I was little and teachers
in school re-enforced that. Regards, Kim Friedman.