[bksvol-discuss] Re: Long validation list

  • From: Misha <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:28:59 -0800

Here are a couple tips I've encountered when converting section breaks to page breaks.

Sometimes it works better to do the search and replace from the end of the book to the beginning, not from beginning to end (has something to do with there being two kinds of section breaks, one of which does weird things to following text if it is removed in the forward direction).

Since the sections that section breaks create can each have different margins, it is best to do select all (selecting the entire book) then set the left and right margin (this is easiest to do in page setup where in addition to the boxes for left and right margin settings there is a button from which you can select "This section" "from here forward" or "Whole document" The last is the one you want.

Misha

Judy s. wrote:
Hi Jim,

I've tried validating your books but the minute I touch any of the formatting (for example, changing a section break to a page break) the rest of the book becomes wonky for me to try and work with. Word re-arranges the entire text, which seems to be in a columnar format, with many specific margin settings, and I end up with things like pages that are one character wide.

I tried contacting you privately about this last week, in terms of any suggestions on what I should do - including asking whether we are supposed to turn section breaks into page breaks, but never heard back. smile. I assume the internet gremlins ate my email, but I haven't had time to try and contact you again. smile.

So - I'd validate your books, as several of them are ones I would like to read, but I don't know how to do so without messing them up. The only thing I can validate on them is scanno errors in spelling.

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've noticed that there are a large number of books listed on the validation list. Is there some way to encourage more people to volunteer as validators? Or do you have any thoughts about how to get some of these books validated? I have about 6 books on the list that I've scanned which appear to be stalled on the validation list. Any recommendations welcome.
Jim Nuttall--Michigan