[bksvol-discuss] Re: List of all scanned but not yet validated books?

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:38:53 -0400

Hi Curtis,

You could also look at it from the perspective that it's too bad that Norton Fire wall doesn't know what to do with Bookshare downloads.
I must admit that going back for 5 years, or more, I have been less than enthusiastic about Norton products. I found a number of programs that Norton didn't happily coincide with. I also had the worst virus infestation on my kids laptop of any I've ever seen with an up to date copy of Norton supposedly protecting it.
McAfee has worked fine for me in the past, and presently I'm using ZoneAlarm as my fire wall. It is an older copy of ZoneAlarm, without some of the newer bells and whistles, but JFW doesn't seem to care for the newest version. The ZoneAlarm standard version is priced right, as it is free. I've run portscans and other programs against it and it passed with flying colors, unlike the fire wall that comes with Windows XP which is full of holes.

Dave

At 04:05 AM 10/4/2004, Curtis Delzer wrote:
That has done it, turned off Norton's firewall and bingo, no problem. There should be a FAQ or at least some reference to that, and it is too bad that bookshare forces us to turn off our fire-wall to download a file when in about 99 percent of all other cases, it's not needed to do so except in some chat clients I.E. FOR-THE-PEOPLE, chat client, does.
Thanks for the tip.

Curtis Delzer

At 04:59 PM 10/3/2004, you wrote:
Hi Curtis,
In addition  to firewalls, virus scanners, such as Norton antivirus, can
also cause weird problems like the one you're having. If you're running a
virus checker with an auto-protect feature you should try disabling it
before attempting your download. If this doesn't help let us know--we'll
help you figure out what else to try.
Kellie