[bksvol-discuss] Re: List of all scanned but not yet validated books?

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:43:41 -0400

I have to admit that about once a week I muddle through the whole list.

Dave

At 11:38 AM 10/3/2004, you wrote:

It is already pretty darned big. Do people really read the whole list, in order? I have only ever used my browser's search function to deal with this monster. My first reaction is that perhaps it shouldn't be a list at all, but rather a searchable database. Then it would take no time at all to load the initial page, and the list of search results would be more manageable once you got it. Just like Google, or any other search engine. In the end, you still get a list to read through, but you get only 50 matches, instead of five thousand!

Perhaps further creative use of filters might assist in making the Step 1 list easier to deal with. The list already has a drop-down list box that allows one to filter out all results except, for example, those which are in RTF format. I can imagine the same logic being applied to restrict the list output to include only mysteries, only books that are awaiting download, or if you use both filters, only mysteries that are awaiting download!

This stuff can make your brain hurt, but it is very powerful stuff. As the currently incarcerated Martha Stewart might say, "it's a good thing."

Tom