[bksvol-discuss] Re: Limited Comments on Bookshare Manual

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:17:16 -0700

I like that concept, treat an ellipsis as a word. I think I would know exactly what to do in every case following that rule. However, I also know that print books are nowhere near that consistent.

Misha

On 7/22/2010 4:28 PM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Gary,
The braille transcription manual essentially says to treat the elipsis as if it were a word. This means that if there is an opening quote before the elipsis, no space should come before the elipsis. And if there is a period and closing quote following the elipsis, that no space should come between. But between words, the elipsis should be surrounded by spaces. Also, if the elipsis is followed by a closing quote, there should be no space between the elipsis and the closing quotation mark. Finally, and this is different from what I learned years ago, if a period and an elipsis are together, rules of grammar need to be used to determine the placement of the elipsis. If the sentence is a fragment, not containing both a subject and a verb, (isn't a complete sentence), but there is a period, the elipsis should come before the period with no space between. If the elipsis follows a complete sentence, the period should follow the sentence as usual, and the elipsis following should be preceded and followed by a space. All that said, and I do realize that it is a bit complex, as long as there are NO spaces within the elipsis, it will be rendered accurately by Bookshare's braille translation tools. And, as far as I know, it needs to be typed on the keyboard as three periods, not as the elipsis symbol, because said symbol is not translated correctly. Okay, I hope that was clear. If not, please ask. And, may I suggest that if anyone thinks they might need this information in future for refreshing the memory as many of us (myself included), please keep this note to refer to so I don't have to express myself sensibly and clearly again. I might not do so well a second time.
Mayrie