[bksvol-discuss] Re: Knitting books--majority of members not blind

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 22:05:27 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Mayrie. That's very interesting. But if the kids aren't blind, I wonder
why it's so necessary to describe the photos in the textbooks (the Poet
project), especially since the teachers, unless they are blind, can descibe
them. I don't mind doing them;  it's an interesting challenge (describing
photos always is, but one tries to convey what one sees as explicitly as
possible do as to enable the blind person to "se"in is/her mind's eye

>________________________________

k-12.  As to their disabilities, I'm not certain, but blindness is one of
the lowest percentages of disabilities of Bookshare members.

>I'll try to remember to ask and let you all
know.

>Mayrie
>

>________________________________

and perhaps for physical impairments cannot hold books to read but I had
assumed
hat the majority of bookshare members are legally blind. Mayrie, or Carrie, an
you tell us /me how the majority of members qualify?
>Cindy
>

>>________________________________

  know that Bookshare hasn't given up on finding a way to make the
  graphics
>>accessible.  I'm going to look into whether the images can be
  legally
>>described via the Diagram program that Bookshare has in
  place.

>>I know that people are not going to be happy with this bit of my
  opinion,
>>and some factoids, so get your rotten veggies ready to throw at
  me.  The
>>parts of the books that are graphics are not accessible to
  blind members.
>>And work is being done to figure out how to change
  that.  However, they are
>>accessible to others with print disabilities,
  so they are not completely
>>inaccessible.  The majority of Bookshare
  members are not blind.  So, it
>>doesn't make sense to deprive books to
  all that are inaccessible to some.

>>Please don't lose hope that
  Bookshare will figure out a way to make these
>>things accessible in some
  way.  Bookshare knows about the problem.
>>Bookshare wants to make as
  much accessible as possible.  And we haven't
>>exhausted all
  possibilities for this to happen.

>>Don't give up hope yet!
>>
>>Mayrie

  done to make these charts accessible?  If not, there is
>>little point
  adding them to the Bookshare collection, which indicates they
>>are
  accessible when they are not.

  -----
  Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:46 AM
>>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Knitting
  books

>>> Hi Sandi,
>>>
>>> No, the images won't be
  accessible.  If they were, they'd have been
>>> rendered

  readably in the daisy file in the first place.  Sorry!

  Mayrie