[bksvol-discuss] Re: Killers Wake by Bernard Cornwell -- Sorry, had tonuke it

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:28:45 -0500

Very good point Mary.  And I suggest that a submitter should ensure that
they have provided a complete text prior to submitting.  Yesterday I
scanned a new book and when performing a page integrity check,  I realized
that pages did not match.  From the text it was not obvious what was going
on,  until I realized that the OCR was dropping pages.  So I fixed it.  I
consider it a matter of personal pride to submit books that do not have
holes in them,  and quite frankly,  I am a believer in egoless work.  If
my materials have problems,  please feel free to let me know, whether or
not the book has already been published.  I am a big boy and constructive
criticism  will only help me provide the best possible quality for our
customers,  for whom we ultimately work.  I trust that you and I share
such pragmatic view of the world.

I'd be delighted to work with the submitter on the integrity check for
this book.  Dave,  if you are there,  send me a note.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/14/2004 01:56 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

"bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Killers Wake by Bernard Cornwell -- Sorry,  had to
nuke it

Well, what I have learned from this  discussion is that I will validate my
own stuff from now on. I am not going to leave blank pages and pages with
only images in books, and I'm not going to have somebody come
along and decide that excellent quality text that I submit is messed up
because they see issues with page numbering discrepancies. Its irritating
to have blank pages in books. I can see it for reference materials with an

index, but not for your everyday average novel. I didn't submit this
particular book. But if I did, and I found out that it got zapped because
I had left out blank pages, I wouldn't be particularly happy. And what do
you
do with books whose page numbers get scrambled by the ocr? I just had one
like that. I have no idea why, but the page numbers were quite often
messed up. Do you honestly think its worthwhile for somebody to
spend a bunch of time fixing up page numbers in a novel that nobody's
going to read for reference when they could be spending that same amount
of time fixing actual text errors in some other book or scanning
another book?  It would be nice if wew could release with comments,
because that way, you could have put that back into the pool with a
comment that you found page number problems but didn't check for actual
text continuity.  It just seems to me that too much can go wrong with page
numbers, and people can and will leave blanks and images out. So nuking
for page numbering discontinuity will inevitibly result in good texts
wasted and volunteers being less than thrilled because perfectly good
texts that they spent time on have been zapped due to an over reliance on
an error-prone method for validation.
Mary