[bksvol-discuss] Just Uploaded

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 18:06:37 -0400

I just uploaded Death Of A Perfect Wife by M.C. Beaton to the admin queue. Thanks to the advice over the weekend, I think I have protected the chapter headings correctly this time. (smile) Here's what the book is about.

The weather turns blustery the day Mr. and Mrs. Thomas move into the sleepy Scottish Highlands village of Lochdubh, and other changes soon follow. Unemployed and English, the Thomases already have two strikes against them: The villagers have never liked newcomers. Only lonely Angela Brodie, the doctor's wife, welcomes the attentions of Trixie Thomas.

Trixie, a model of domestic efficiency, turns Angela's life around--organizing her house, teaching her to cook nourishing vegetarian meals (much to the dismay of Dr. Brodie), even helping her perm her hair. Trixie soon takes the rest of the village in hand, as well, with her Anti-Smoking League, her new birdwatching society, and her general interference with the gentle, lazy rhythm of life in Lochdubh.

Hamish Macbeth, the canny village police constable, doesn't let his own confusion over his feelings for lovely Priscilla Halburton-Smythe cloud his perception of the villagers' growing resentment of the perfect housewife. And when resentment explodes into murder, the local reactions range from shock to secret satisfaction.

The trouble for Hamish may be in finding someone who didn't wish Trixie dead and gone, in this latest outing for the policeman Kirkus has rightfully hailed as a "gem."

Monica
Visit my blog at: http://plumlipstick.livejournal.com