[bksvol-discuss] Jim Fruchterman's Comments About His Visit With Us

  • From: "Pat Price" <patlprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Volunteer list " <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 02:08:21 -0500

Greetings Everyone,

Earlier today, I received a note from Jim Fruchterman that included his
comments about his visit with us last Tuesday evening. It appeared in the
recent issue of his Blog.
I thought you would appreciate reading it.

Pat

________________________________

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 9:36 AM
To:  pat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Beneblog: Technology Meets Society] Two plus hours with the
Friends of Benetech

Earlier this week I was invited to speak on an on-line conference by the
Friends of Benetech, an independent support group for our Bookshare.org
digital library for people with print disabilities. They have a neat
technology for an on-line audio and text chat room. There were more than
fifty people on-line with us, and the entire talk was recorded and placed on
the web.
<http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/november_27_2007_jim_fruchterman.mp3>

I love this kind of opportunity that technology makes possible. Any
Bookshare.org user or volunteer now gets the chance to question the CEO of a
service they care passionately about (and believe me, they do!). Would other
nonprofit agencies operate differently if the people they served had a
regular chance to question the leadership directly and frequently? Greater
accountability is essential to progress in the social sector: this is just
one start. Earned income is another way, of course. I'm looking forward to
doing this regularly in the future: it keeps me on my toes!

--

http://www.benetech.org/
480 S. California Avenue