[bksvol-discuss] Italics

  • From: "Denise Wagner" <denisecwagner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 12:26:59 -0500

Hi all,

I know thereâs been discussion lately on diary and journal entries and my take
away has been that if itâs intuitive, then leave it alone.

My question is this:  I am a sighted reader.  When I read a passage where, say,
the main character has received a letter, that letter verbiage is italicized to
set it apart from the rest of the text.  This tells me this is the letter.  How
do I treat that?  Do I put in brackets before and after the passage identifying
the beginning and end?  Or do I assume the screen reader or braille reader (the
human) will be able to tell itâs the letter.

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks,
Denise