[bksvol-discuss] Re: Islands in the Pacific

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 11:01:08 -0700 (PDT)

Transit of Venus, by Julian Evans. He's an Englishman,
so there were a lot of other terms I didn't know, like
"verge" "quiff" "blackbirders"--"flamboyant, which to
me meant something other than horticulture.--many,many
more. I could tell from the context what these were,
but I wanted to know more specifically.

I was familiar with the terms breadfruit, frangipani,
and sea cucumber, but I wanted to see what they looked
like. I was surprised to see how beautiful a grove of
breadfruit trees is.

It's an interesting book for its content as well, and
is well-written. I recommend it, although not to read
if you're feeling at all depressed or dissatisfied
with  our government or the concept of
colonialization. smile

Cindy

--- Amy Goldring Tajalli