[bksvol-discuss] Is the Braille Translator Messing Up Ellipses?

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:32:52 -0400

I don't normally read books I've scanned after they get approved, since I
either read through them before submitting them, or I scanned them for someone
else that I myself didn't want to read, but knew they would read through
completely before checking them in. Today though, I started reading a book that
I didn't read when I scanned it, but that Lissi thought I would like. In the
brf version of the book, I discovered that everywhere there is an ellipsis,
(three periods in a row without spaces, not the special character ellipsis),
the brf version of the file has not the three dot threes that are supposed to
be there, but just one dot three. I checked a slightly older book that we did
and found the same thing. I compared the brf file I downloaded from Bookshare
with the original file I scanned, so there's no mistake. All the ellipses in
the brf versions are just one dot three.

I don't know how far back this goes. The book I originally discovered this
issue in was added to the collection on July 30, 2010. The slightly older book
I checked which has the same problem was added on April 16, 2010; so it's been
going on for at least several months, unless it's been fixed since July 30. I'm
sure that the brf versions used to have the ellipsis correct, but at some point
it seems that a bug was introduced.

Evan