[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is it a scanno or a real word

Shelley,

Now you make me feel old. "Funicular" is in my 10th
edition of Webster's Collegiate dictionary. Also, just
this evening watching, the Amazing Race, contestants
rode a funicular in Hungary. I didn't know that it
ended with "r," though, and I didn't know it was
cranked by hand.  According to my dictionary, it's
just "a cable railway ascending a mountain, in which
an ascending car balances and descending car." It's
true, though, that the term isn't used much any more
-- but being my age, a lot of the books I read as a
child used such terms. I think there was one in Heidi,
though I may be wrong. Also, I thought of a melange as
a hodgepoge of things, and the same dictionary tells
me I was right. According to the dictionary, a melange
(and you're right about the accent over the first e)
is "a mixture often of incongruous elements." (Did you
know "hodgepoge,' or is that old-fashioned, too
(smile); I'm showing my age here, I think.

Any online Webster's dictionary should have what you
need.

Cindy

--- "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail