[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is There a Bookshare Newsletter? wasrevisiting Hold For

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 22:27:44 -0600

Thank you for the suggestions.  Some of these stats may be included in the
newsletter.  G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/08/2008 03:34 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is There a Bookshare Newsletter? wasrevisiting Hold
For

Dear Booksharian Friends,

It will be fun seeing what will be in a new newsletter. It will be our
first
update since Jim Fruchterman put us in the loop last November. That was a
memorable evening thanks to Jim's interest in keeping Booksharians
appraised
of Bookshare's goals and activities and Friends of Bookshare's initiative
in
providing responsibly monitored chat rooms with top level guests and
engaging programs and activities.

The staff already knows I'm curious about how many books were in the
collection at the end of December 31, 2007. In some contexts I really
enjoy
knowing how many there were or are of this and that.

Here are some other number questions I'd like to see answered in a
newsletter or in a post to these lists.

1. How many new books were added in 2007?
2. How many BSOs were approved in 2007?
3. May we have an update on the fascinating breakdown of how many books
are
in each category displayed on the home page of The Friends of Bookshare
site?
4. How many people currently subscribe to the volunteer list? the Discuss
list?
5. How many volunteers are currently registered with Bookshare?
6. How many volunteers were active in 2007, submitting or validating at
least 1 book which was approved?
7.What was the total membership at Bookshare at the end of 2007?
8. How many new members signed up in 2007?
9. How many people had earned their full membership when they joined or
renewed their membership in Bookshare through volunteering?
10. How many books in the collection were downloaded by members in 2007?
11. What percentage of the total collection is rated excellent, good and
fair?

I don't need to know the answers to any of the above questions. I'm not
investigating or trying to make any point. I just enjoy those kinds of
statistics. If I never learn the answers to any of my numbers questions,
I'll happily continue volunteering as I'm doing, but I'd keep wondering.
Does anyone else like knowing this kind of information?

Always with love,

Lissi