[bksvol-discuss] Re: Internet Explorer Settings?

  • From: "Peter Scialli" <Peter.s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:20:27 -0500

Hi Liz,
By any chance, did you upgrade to Windows XP SP2? That introduces a new privacy feature which can make an upload request appear to be Spyware in action. The work around is to go into your Internet Settings under the Tools menu and then go over to the Privacy tab. As you tab down, there will be an area into which you can enter so called managed or "safe" web sites. If you put bookshare.org n that entry field, it will stop annoying you when your browser tries to make contact with our backend server.
Some firewall software will have a similar effect, but with SP2, the problem is most commonly found there. Hope this helps.

________________________ Peter M. Scialli, Ph.D. Associate, Technical Projects, Bookshare.org www.bookshare.org

A Project of The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity
peter @benetech.org
www.benetech.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Liz Bottner" <liziswhatis@xxxxxxxxxxx>