[bksvol-discuss] International

  • From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:30:44 -0800

Oh ye of little faith.  Bookshare.org has been international in a
limited way for more than two years, thanks to the O'Reilly permissions.
In the last few months, we have received more permissions to go global
with titles from specific authors and titles.  By the end of this year,
I would expect there to be more than 3,000 current copyrighted titles
that will be available to people with print disabilities around the
globe.  I'm busy talking to publishers and libraries to expand this
further.

The reason we're not trumpeting this widely is because our user
interface needs to be improved for users outside the U.S.  Right now,
you don't find out that a book lacks permission until you try to
download it (unless you are just looking at O'Reilly titles).  So, we
want to make it easier in users outside the U.S. to just see the titles
they can download.  And, this is just one of many engineering tasks on
our to-do list!

Jim Fruchterman
jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx