[bksvol-discuss] Improving excellent books

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare volunteer discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:02:09 -0500

Lately when I've downloaded books that are rated excellent, I find that, in general, they really are excellent. However, they may have an occasional 1 for I or misspelled words that you know are scanning errors.

Now, these books are fine as they are--we've all learned to correct those little errors in our heads and to go on reading.

But, they could be improved. I was wondering if we could somehow resubmit a book with minor changes without having to go through the whole process of putting it on step 1 as a "bso" book, having someone else validate it, and have a staff approve it. That seems very inefficient, and a waste of time just for a few errors.

But, if a method could be developed to include these minor improvements, then the library could always be increasing in quality.

I don't think this effort would even merit credits. It's just a way to improve an already excellent collection.

What do you think?

Bookshare staff, does this idea have a chance?

Bob
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead