[bksvol-discuss] Re: If You See Duplicates

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:35:57 -0700

Hi, Lynne, Kim here. I understand what you mean, but I have also talked to
Solsticesinger, and she wonders why she should go through all the trouble of
scanning and/or proofreading a book, only to have it replaced by something
that may not necessarily be of as good a quality. Just because something is
marked as publisher quality doesn't guarantee it will be of sterling
quality. Forgive me for playing devil's advocate with you, but I think it is
wise to not assume that publishers are all that scrupulous about their text
files. Are any of them cleaning up their typographical errors and are books
really being edited? Think about this now. Do you really want your hard work
to be set aside, especially if it is marked as being of excellent quality
where you have slaved your heart out making sure everything looks good and
lacks errors? I could understand you not minding if the scanning was of fair
or good quality. You'd want only the best quality you can get so the books
would be a pleasure to read. Now I've ranted enough, so happy scanning and
proofreading you all, Kim aka Ellinder.

  _____

From: Lynn I <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, July 20, 2009, 7:21 AM

That's a very good question. I'm finding more and more duplicate books in
the collection. One is usually a publisher quality copy and the other is a
copy submitted by a volunteer.

Blessings.

Lynn I