[bksvol-discuss] Re: Identical

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:28:56 -0800 (PST)

Actually, Jill did rate it Adult, but asked me to do
what I thought, and because of where it is shelved in
libraries and the professional reviewers and
publishers' recommendations, I took off the Adult
rating but did put warnings on both the short and long
synopses. I think it would be a wonderful idea to have
a comments section on the form for that. I can't
remember if it was suggested during the beta testing
period or not.

My problem, when designating the level of books for my
list, is knowing exactly where the age for something I
should label juvenile fiction ends and Young Adult
fiction begins. Partly this is because my own children
are grown and I can't remember that long ago, partly
because I am aware that the maturity level, as
Courtney and Kelby point out, varies with the person,
and partly because I'm also aware that attention span
and reading level ability vary considerably. In my own
mind I designate Preschool to grade 4 children's;
grades 5-7 juvenile, and grades 8-high school young
adult fiction.
But I put all the info I can get from B&N and Amazon
on my list so parents, who know their own children
best, can determine whether the book is too young or
too old for their child. Unfortunately, I don't think
that my age-level info goes with the book into the
collection. smile

Cindy

--- Amber Wallenstein <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All I can say is it was in my YA section when I
> looked at it.  I will be
> putting a few books on BKS soon that were available
> in my library's YA
> section.  they deal with very adult themes but since
> they are marked as
> teen, I will not be marking them adult.
> Amber
> Book blog:
> http://community.livejournal.com/book_cuddler/
> I have accepted a seat in the House of
> Representatives, and thereby have
> consented to my own ruin, to your ruin, and to the
> ruin of our children. I
> give
> you this warning that you may prepare your mind for
> your fate.
> John Adams
> E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx

AT