[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN question

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:58:11 EDT

Actually, the ISBN never has been required. It just has so many advantages
that not many publishers will forego it anymore. It is still possible to
find a few books without an ISBN currently being published though. They are
usually privately published or published by a local organization not ordinarily
in the book publishing business. For example, a local senior citizens club
might publish a recipe book as a fund raiser and it might not have an ISBN.
Or a small time writer might not be able to sell his book to a publisher and
does not want to go the vanity press route so he might just have a local
print shop print up a number of copies and have them bound. Those kind of
books are also likely not to have an ISBN. The ISBN, then the SBN, was
introduced in 1968, but was not widely adopted until the mid 1970's.

                                                                  "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN question
Date:
7/22/2009 1:32:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi Melissa,

    The ISBN isn't required information.  It makes things simpler as
that information allows the database that bookshare uses to fill in a lot
of
the metadata about the book for you.  Without the ISBN you will just have
fill in all fields on the submission form yourself.  You can always look
for
your book on Amazon,Barnes and Noble, or Google it and see if you can find
the ISBN.  If the book is older, it may not have one.  I don't think ISBN's
were required until 1972 or some time around then.

    Looking for your book on the internet, you'll have to look at each
listing for the book and decide which applies to your book by comparing
whether the book is hardcover or paperback, and the number of pages it has,
as well as its publication date.  The number of pages listed in a book in
these instances includes, in my experience, all preliminary and post story
matter included in the book, every single page.

Mayrie