To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:40 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] I think I will be able to keep scanning after all.

I just got through calling Freedom Scientific and it looks like my options are better than I thought. First, Sandi offered to give me her Open Book 8 since she went over to Kurzweil. It was to ask questions about that possibility that I called FS this morning. Sandi, it doesn't look like that is going to work. They did say that Open Book 8 is compatible with Windows 7, but if I was running a 64 bit Windows 7 they would have to send me an update disk. I don't know if my Windows 7 is 64 bit or not, but there is a certain reason that I think so. That may be moot though. That was the information I got from calling technical support. I then called sales. I asked if there were any legal issues I should be aware of concerning the licence. Well, it turns out that they would have to transfer the licence and charge 75 dollars to do that and I would have to upgrade to the latest version of the software. Obviously I would be better off just buying the latest version. Now here is the good news. The sales rep asked me some questions so that he could verify that I already owned Open Book 6. It turns out that with that verification I can get Open Book 9 for way, way cheaper than I expected. The price was so low that I think I am going to go ahead and do that. I did not make a commitment just yet though. Most of the people on this list use Kurzweil and as I read all the banter about using it on this list I get the impression that it is a much better software. So can someone post a link to a web page that will tell me something about their discount for switching from Open Book? I understand that the price is still pretty high if I do that, so I am probably just going to upgrade my Open Book, but as long as I am shopping I thought it would be a good idea to at least look into it before I take the plunge.