[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.

Hi, Gwen, I'd say you are right. However, people like to express themselves
by letting you know how intensely they feel about a thing. If you say: "My,
isn't it hot out today!" It is merely an observation on your part, but if
you say: "It's broiling out here, and I am the steak!" That's a different
thing altogether. I think people who use the F-word every two or three words
don't realize that there language is pedestrian, lacking in imagination,
and, let's face it, I happen not to like hearing that damned word in every
single sentence. (Yeah, Gwen, "damn" is a word I tend to use to evoke
feelings of n extreme nature and I, too, probably am lacking in
imagination.)  I don't believe we are cognizant at all times about what we
say. We like running off at the mouth, don't we? Well, I have been known to
natter to a friend. Some folks' conversation is very boring because they're
not really thinking about what they're saying. Then there are others who
have an arsenal of words at their fingertips (oh, dear, those mixed
metaphors) I don't think that people are aware about what a curse consists
of. They say"By God," and I suppose it is an oath. But if you are actually
cursing, you are wishing something for that person's detriment. I think
there are countries where people get very creative when it comes to cursing
or blessing someone. Have you ever heard that little ditty by Little Jimmy
Dickens? It's title, although humorous, is a curse, I.e., "May the Bird of
Paradise Fly Up Your Nose". If only we could be content with letting our
yeses be yes and our no's be no. Sorry, I have to put up with the language
my sisters use and they're not going to stop on my account. Them's the
facts, ma'm. I, therefore, am resolved to speak in a manner I hope others
will understand. I mean, I'll make an attempt to lead by example. Ain't it
funny how dense some people can be? Never mind. Enough finger-flapping for
now. Take care and best regards, Kim.  !

  _____  

From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of gwen tweedy
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:27 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.


I agree with you Kim on this one
and yes in the King James version they do have this word in there ok I look
at it this way chase this rabbit with me a bit.
I come up to you and I say this Hi how the blank are you what the blank have
you been up to it is blankin' hot out here. I could just as easily say how
are you how are you today what have you been up to it is really hot out
today.
That doesn't change the plot of these lines at all and if I can read
something like that other than the other I should have that choice.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Kim  <mailto:kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx> Friedman 
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:36 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.

Hi, Roger, I tend not to like that particular word myself,  but it was used
in common English speech in the 17th century and in fact, if you come across
the King James Version of the Bible, that word you used occurs throughout 1
and 2 Kings and 1 and 2 Chronicles. I know what you are getting at and I
think cultures differ on what they might consider obscene. I think what have
been considered oaths have changed. At some time if you said "God's body",
that would have been considered an oath. You are right in that people will
say what they say. Personally, I wouldn't swear by asking God to damn
somebody or use the name of Jesus if I was particularly upset. I find it
kind of amusing when I hear of people who are atheists swearing and using
God's name in their oaths. I think to myself: "Now here are these supposed
atheists who will tell me that believing in God is irrational because to
their minds their is no such thing, and yet, they will swear by something
they claim not to believe in. If they really are atheists, why can't they
come up with oaths that are at least consistent with their non-beliefs?" God
knows, I don't claim to be consistent myself, so I guess I'll have to cut
you some slack here, right? However, I think if you mean what you say and
don't believe in God at all, I say, try to think of something you can swear
by, if you must swear by something, that is consistent with your beliefs or
lack thereof. Regards, Kim.

  _____  

From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 8:49 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.


Some time ago I recall Pavi saying that the dictionary that algorithm uses
was reviewed and that it was laughable when they saw some of the words that
were in it. Supposedly that was corrected, but I very much suspect that I
would still consider it laughable. Honestly, I was once telling someone
something another person said. I mentioned that the person had said that
another person was pissed off. I do not ordinarily use that phrase myself,
but since I was relating what someone else said I did that time. I was
angrily accused of being obscene. It never even occurred to me in my wildest
speculations that anyone would consider that to be obscene and if I had
found it in that dictionary of prohibited words and phrases I would have
found that laughable. Nevertheless, someone did consider it obscene. That is
why I tend to think that the person who is offended by so-called "adult"
words has the problem, not the one who utters them.

                                                                 "The end
may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end. 
" Leon Trotsky     

             The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com
<http://wwww.themilitant.com> Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International: http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj: 
[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.   
Date: 
9/8/2009 10:48:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time  
From: 
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  
Reply-to: 
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  
To: 
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  
Sent from the Internet 
(Details) 
table end

Evan, I've wondered about how that algorithm works too, because 
of the children's books I've proofed that were erroneously marked 
as adult by the algorithm.  I'd bet part of it is based on 
Bookshare useing a dictionary of words that can be considered 
adult (with some contexting built in, I'd guess).  The final 
designation of adult comes about by using a weighting of the 
number of times words/terms/phrases appear factored against the 
total number of words in a book.  So if you have a children's 
book with very few words, and one of the 'suspect' words appears, 
although it could be in a totally innocent context, bam! The 
children's book is going to get rated as adult.  I had that 
happen a few months ago with a board book I was proofreading!

Just guessing here, of course. smile.

Judy s.

EVAN REESE wrote:
> What determines adult content is ultimately the proofreader. Bookshare's 
> computer can mark a book either Adult or not, using some secret 
> algorithm that staff refuses to divulge to us, but the proofreader can 
> change the Bookshare computer's choice if he/she feels that a change is 
> justified. It used to be either the submitter and/or the proofreader, 
> but Bookshare took that choice away from submitters and seems to have no 
> inclination to give it back.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
database 4408 (20090908) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com




__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
database 4411 (20090909) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Other related posts: