[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:43:22 EDT

Indeed, it is up to the person with tender sensibilities to find something
they can enjoy rather than ask someone else to cater to those sensibilities,
but frankly, I don't see how they can do it. I have noticed that the most
popular topic of small talk wherever you go, beating out even the weather, is
sex. If I were going to avoid the topic of sex I think I would just have to
quit reading and having conversations. So, not only is it an almost
impossible topic to avoid, it is also a topic that I can't see how it could
make
anyone uncomfortable. That is like being offended by someone saying that they
went to the grocery store yesterday. I would think that maintaining such an
attitude toward sex would be a lot more stressful than actually being
exposed to it if one does have that attitude.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies
the end.
" Leon Trotsky

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.
Date:
9/9/2009 12:27:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Once more I am in agreement with Roger.  If your sensibilities are
that tender it should be up to you to take whatever steps you require
to find something you can enjoy.  Asking others to cater to you at
that level is simply too much.

On 9/8/09, Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some time ago I recall Pavi saying that the dictionary that algorithm
uses
> was reviewed and that it was laughable when they saw some of the words
that
> were in it. Supposedly that was corrected, but I very much suspect that I
> would still consider it laughable. Honestly, I was once telling someone
> something another person said. I mentioned that the person had said that
> another
> person was pissed off. I do not ordinarily use that phrase myself, but
since
> I was relating what someone else said I did that time. I was angrily
accused
> of being obscene. It never even occurred to me in my wildest speculations
> that anyone would consider that to be obscene and if I had found it in
that
> dictionary of prohibited words and phrases I would have found that
> laughable.
> Nevertheless, someone did consider it obscene. That is why I tend to
think
> that the person who is offended by so-called "adult" words has the
problem,
> not the one who utters them.
>

> "The end may justify the means as long as there is something that
justifies
> the end.
> " Leon Trotsky
>
>                  The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com Pathfinder
Press:
> http://www.pathfinderpress.com
> Granma International: http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
>                  _
>
> table with 2 columns and 6 rows
> Subj:
> [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.
> Date:
> 9/8/2009 10:48:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:
> cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To:
> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sent from the Internet
> (Details)
> table end
>
> Evan, I've wondered about how that algorithm works too, because
> of the children's books I've proofed that were erroneously marked
> as adult by the algorithm.  I'd bet part of it is based on
> Bookshare useing a dictionary of words that can be considered
> adult (with some contexting built in, I'd guess).  The final
> designation of adult comes about by using a weighting of the
> number of times words/terms/phrases appear factored against the
> total number of words in a book.  So if you have a children's
> book with very few words, and one of the 'suspect' words appears,
> although it could be in a totally innocent context, bam! The
> children's book is going to get rated as adult.  I had that
> happen a few months ago with a board book I was proofreading!
>
> Just guessing here, of course. smile.
>
> Judy s.
>
> EVAN REESE wrote:
>> What determines adult content is ultimately the proofreader. Bookshare's
>> computer can mark a book either Adult or not, using some secret
>> algorithm that staff refuses to divulge to us, but the proofreader can
>> change the Bookshare computer's choice if he/she feels that a change is
>> justified. It used to be either the submitter and/or the proofreader,
>> but Bookshare took that choice away from submitters and seems to have no
>> inclination to give it back.

> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list
of

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx