[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hymnals in etext or on bookshare

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:22:53 -0800

Hi Shelley.  I will address your questions below.

At 05:33 PM 3/19/2005 -0500, you wrote:
1. Does anyone know where I might obtain an accessible copy of the
Presbyterian Hymnal, not in BRAILLE as it is well, many many volumes, and
very expensive!

I don't know, but you can try these sites. You might find something. Also, I don't think PG has any hymnals exactly like what you want but I'll look.

http://opc.org/
http://pca.org/

Both are Presbyterian, one is Orthodox, the other is Presbyterian Church of America. You would have better luck with the OPC. They have doctrine online but I don't think they have a hymnal.

Also, below is what PG has. The Lutheran hymns are similar, so you should check there. I have a ton of them in MIDI format also but that's just music.

File gutindex.all:
The Hymns of Prudentius, by Aurelius Clemens Prudentius                  14959

Hymns and Spiritual Songs, by Isaac Watts                                13341

  [Subtitle: Including Selections from the Vedic Hymns, Zend-Avesta,

Cousin Hatty's Hymns and Twilight Stories, Wm. Crosby and H.P. Nichols   12007

Audio: Battle Hymn of the Republic, by Roger McGuinn                     10497C

    Hymns To Night by Novalis, Tr.: Henry Morley

Feb 1996 The Hymns and Small Cathechism of Martin Luther   [thomlxxx.xxx]  417

And 2, if the first question is answered, it doesn't exist, then, perhaps,
are these types of books song books available on Bookshare.  I don't see
anything in Chaffee preventing song or lyric books, but of course may not be
interpreting it right.

The law says that dramatic works aren't allowed. That includes plays, screen plays etc. That doesn't include sheet music. Speaking of music, that reminds me. If you have access to Web-Braille, try this link. It is just the raw directory I think but there is lots there. You will probably find hymns.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/braille/music/

Let me know if any of this is helpful. I would be interested in looking at the hymnal if you find it online somewhere. The main problem I see is that many of the recent hymns from 1922 on are still under copyright so can't be legally posted online. Many hymns are very old though so might be fine.