[bksvol-discuss] Re: How to fix converting four asterisks to a line

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:27:00 -0500

Karen, thank you for this! It's been driving me crazy and I didn't know where to find the exact menu to turn it off in Word.

Judy s.

Karen Harshfield wrote:

I use MS Word 2000 and this is what is happening.

The line that is created is actually a "border" in Word's terminology. In Word 2003, it is called a "border line."

To turn off this automatic conversion, do the following:

On the Tools menu (type alt T)
select AutoCorrect (type A)
select the "AutoFormat as you type" tab

Turn off the check box  labeled "borders"

Type Enter to save this change.

If I've communicated these directions clearly, youur asterisks (and equal signs, dashes, etc.) will no longer convert themselves to lines (or borders).

- Karen