[bksvol-discuss] Re: How do I How do I

  • From: Chanelle Hill <chanellemh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:05:03 -0500

Hi Kim,
First, I wouldn't recommend cutting the file from your computer. It is
nice to have a backup copy on your computer in case something goes
wrong. I would just copy and paste. If you didn't want to do that, I
think that you can download the file from Bookshare again.
The rtf file will display in your preferred reading grade--Grade 2.
However, if you place one of your cursor buttons on a word, it will
display in computer Braille since the rtf file is in a rich text file
format. It shouldn't bee too difficult to edit in Computer Braille.
Most often for literary books, you just need to know the Computer
Braille punctuation symbols.
When I am proofreading on my BrailleNote, I prefer to choose the
"editing" option which will display all formatting. It does get a
little tedious; however, it is easier to catch words or phrases that
are italicized, bolded, or have other formatting that you know
shouldn't be there. In editing mode, alignment indicators will also be
displayed (for example, dollar sign c for centered, dollar sign r for
right aligned, dollar sign i for indent, dollar sign p for new
paragraph, and so forth). The other available options you may choose
from are reading, which does not display any formatting, layout, which
shows you how the text will actually appear on a line, and automatic,
which detects what you are doing and sets the display accordingly (I
am not entirely sure though).
Hopefully this helps you a little. Doing anything for the first time
is a fun learning experience. Let me know if what I have written isn't
clear to you.

Chanelle