[bksvol-discuss] Re: How I read

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:46:18 -0800

I think the problem here is that the general public thinks that blind means
totally blind; hence visually impaired came into being. I help conduct a
group of people who mostly have macular degeneration and are seniors. I
think if this group was advertised as a group for the blind, the attendance
would drop considerably because these people don't think of themselves as
blind, just visually impaired. Although I have a small amount of sight, I,
however,  refer to myself as blind when asking for assistance.