[bksvol-discuss] Re: How Grayscale works and why it can help (was Scanning Old Mass Market Paperbacks)

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:59:28 -0600

Wow. I just want to chime in also, that this description of grayscale was
truly an awsome thing to read today. Thank you very much, Judy!!

I have used the Grayscale is one of the settings in my K-1000 scanning
software to work on pages that have a ridiculously bad contrast between the
foreground font and the background upon which the font resides.
It is Hell and it is slow, but I have done some pages I dearly wanted to
read. Like the 40 page booklet with the Complete Columbia recordings of
Billie Holiday. The booklet had varying degrees of blackness on the
background with a silver font for text.  It took me forever to do, but
finally I did have all the information I wanted.  But, boy, that setting
does really make the file huge, so if anyone is going to use it, I would
recommend only do a few pages at a time.  I had memory issues and very slow
and sluggishness when I got into the latter parts of my project.

Rix Mix in the mix and wishing you all a very nice Memorial Day, and here is
hoping we can have peace and cooperation everywhere, even like we do in our
community on Bookshare.

smile.

Heck, I guess I done did a rhyme that time.

Rik