[bksvol-discuss] How Gender Knot was done

  • From: "Cindy Ray" <cindyray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:50:44 -0500

I've released Gender Knot and redownloaded it in order to get the
information. I remember Georgios Nikolaidis did the following to
create the .ark file. I do not think, at least from what I glean from
his description of it, that it would actually be a book that is
illegal. I think he was on one of these lists before and actually
discussed this as a possible way to do the book. While this is what
dictated my complaint, it is not the worst scan I've seen, but it
shows that with a little work lots of stuff (small things but time
consuming nonetheless) could have been repaired. I am a little sorry I
caused this discussion that has been here all day, but I do feel
strongly. But that's all off my topic. Here's what Georgios says:

"This book was not scanned. It was taken through a copier with a
setting not common to all copiers of making copies of all pages into a
PDF file. The PDF
was converted into an Ark file using Openbook's Freedom Import
Printer. The entire process did not take much more than half an hour,
as compared to the
hours it usually takes to scan a book page by page. This method should
be considered by other members of the Bookshare community."

Thanks.

Cindy Lou--Think Pink