[bksvol-discuss] Re: Holding Down the Traffic

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:45:52 EDT

Well, before you disagree too heartily, keep in mind that I was just
throwing out some suggestions, not demands, for consideration and that I am
aware
that I am a frequent violator of some of my own suggestions. However, when I
haven't gotten the chance to work on the current book I have been
proofreading for about two or three days because I have been making my way
through
email I think it is about time to make some kind of suggestion.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies
the end.
" Leon Trotsky

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Holding Down the Traffic
Date:
9/11/2009 9:25:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi everyone,

I disagree heartily with Roger.  I think that single messages about books
being scanned, books with which folks need help, requests for proofreaders,
requests
for the wish list and the like belong on the volunteer list.  I would much
rather see the two and three day long discussions of just about anything
stopped
altogether than stopping messages like the ones I mention that actually
have to do with volunteering for bookshare.

Mayrie

----

From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Holding Down the Traffic
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 8:25 PM

I have finally caught up with my email. I don't know how long that will
last though. It would not surprise me if I logged on tomorrow and found another
hundred plus messages waiting for me. That is why I would like to make a
few suggestions concerning holding down list traffic. By no means do I want to
try to squelch off topic threads even though they could stand to be held
down a little. Besides, the next time I start one I can always say that
everybody
else is doing it. However, there are a few kinds of messages we could do
easily without. For one thing, I think that messages announcing that a title
should
be added to or removed from the books being scanned list could be sent
privately to Cindy. Other messages that are clearly list business but do not
need
to be seen by everyone on the list might be handled that way too. It would
be good if you could think of whether it could or not before you post. Also,
there are a lot of messages that contain nothing but thank you or
congratulations or chuckle and every now and then a message that entirely
consists of
LOL. I really do not see that these serve any purpose at all, but if you
think they do then those might be sent privately too. I just ask you to think
before you click the send button and ask yourself if this message either
contributes to the purpose of the list or to the off topic thread in which you
are participating. I think that part of the problem is that there are just
a lot of subscribers here and that on a smaller list those kind of messages
would be hardly noticed but when so many people are sending them it can r
eally fill up the in box fast. Now, even as I have been typing this I hear the
sound of arriving email, so here I go falling behind again.

                                                                 "The end
may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.
" Leon Trotsky

             The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: