[bksvol-discuss] Re: Holding Down the Traffic

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:08:37 -0500

I agree completely with you, Mayrie.

I'd like to add that posting wishlist requests here often triggers someone volunteering to scan and/or proof a book. Just sending those requests directly to Cindy doesn't trigger that. smile.

Judy s.

Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi everyone,
I disagree heartily with Roger. I think that single messages about books being scanned, books with which folks need help, requests for proofreaders, requests for the wish list and the like belong on the volunteer list. I would much rather see the two and three day long discussions of just about anything stopped altogether than stopping messages like the ones I mention that actually have to do with volunteering for bookshare. Mayrie
    From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
    Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Holding Down the Traffic
    To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 8:25 PM

    I have finally caught up with my email. I don't know how long that
    will last though. It would not surprise me if I logged on tomorrow
    and found another hundred plus messages waiting for me. That is why
    I would like to make a few suggestions concerning holding down list
    traffic. By no means do I want to try to squelch off topic threads
    even though they could stand to be held down a little. Besides, the
    next time I start one I can always say that everybody else is doing
    it. However, there are a few kinds of messages we could do easily
    without. For one thing, I think that messages announcing that a
    title should be added to or removed from the books being scanned
    list could be sent privately to Cindy. Other messages that are
    clearly list business but do not need to be seen by everyone on the
    list might be handled that way too. It would be good if you could
    think of whether it could or not before you post. Also, there are a
    lot of messages that contain nothing but thank you or
    congratulations or chuckle and every now and then a message that
    entirely consists of LOL. I really do not see that these serve any
    purpose at all, but if you think they do then those might be sent
    privately too. I just ask you to think before you click the send
    button and ask yourself if this message either contributes to the
    purpose of the list or to the off topic thread in which you are
    participating. I think that part of the problem is that there are
    just a lot of subscribers here and that on a smaller list those kind
    of messages would be hardly noticed but when so many people are
    sending them it can really fill up the in box fast. Now, even as I
    have been typing this I hear the sound of arriving email, so here I
    go falling behind again.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that
    justifies the end.
" Leon Trotsky
                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com
    <http://wwww.themilitant.com>Pathfinder Press: