[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold fors

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:06:45 -0800

Basically, I'm with Monica. Most of the time I haven't commented on this topic (which comes up every so often) because I could see good arguments on both sides. But, currently, I do think there are an unusually large number of hold fors and not as much variety as usual in what is available. Maybe it is just one of those random things that occurs, and maybe Carrie is too busy with all the other bookshare tasks she does to go out browsing local used book stores for the large volume and variety she generally feeds to the chopper and high speed scanner.

But, I do have one suggestion (which was partly inspired by one of the emails in this thread, so I'm not claiming I thought it up completely on my own). Perhaps people that send out books to be scanned by others could ask the scanner to send them an email when the book has been scanned. Then the sender/proofreader can send an email saying yes, upload it now, or no wait a while so I can clear out some other tasks first. Then when ready the proofreader can email, ok send it now. In other words, the books could be held for on the computer of the sender instead of on the bookshare queue. We who don't want to see them because they are held for someone else, won't see them. And the overworked bookshare engineering staff won't have still yet more requests for changes to the site.

And maybe Carrie will tumble another forty mysteries, romances, fantasies, suspenses, and who knows what else into the queue and this book drought will all be a passing memory.

Misha