[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold fors

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 20:22:05 EST

I wouldn't call for abolition either. The main problem with the holds that I
see is that they get in the way when we browse for books to proofread that are
not on hold. A seperate page for the holds or even a search feature that
could be used to exclude terms such as the phrase "hold for" would do. Also an
expiration date for holds sounds like a good idea. It could be generous like
six
months or even a year. That way if a proofreader dropped out of sight without
any of us knowing what happened the books would not languish on the download
list forever.

                  "Philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various
ways; the point is to change it." Karl Marx

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold fors
Date:
3/4/2009 5:59:01 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
ccfeist@xxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I certainly am not one wanting to see it abolished.  Heavens no.  However, I
see a rising need for it to be modified due to the larger number of
proofreaders available that can get books on-line in a timely fashion.

If some new validators throw up their hands and just give up on volunteering
all-together due to so very many holds, and being held for so long, then
that would undoubtedly be a step backwards for Bookshare.  I can sympathize
with those feelings completely.

You may say that the reasons for the holds come up every few months when
someone questions it's validity and are then answered.  But I feel it's
validity in it's current state needs to be questioned even further, and as
of yet I'm not seeing a sensible reason for this hold process to remain the
exact way it is.

Does anyone know if staff has an opinion on this at this point?  Are our
concerns being heard or are we spitting into the wind here.  LOL.

Chris Feist - The one and only!

"Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart,
and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain."
- Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)