[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold fors

  • From: "Chris Feist" <ccfeist@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 14:19:01 -0600

I see Evan's point, I do.  And it's a thoroughly valid one.  I still feel
that a time limit on holds is perfectly reasonable, however.

That being said, if the concern is a proofreader doing the bare minimum (if
even that much) before submitting a book they supposedly validated, then
should there not be some standards put in place for validaters?  If one
individual, either accidentally or deliberately, does a poor job, shouldn't
they be contacted about the situation to find out why?  If they need
assistance in learning how to become a better proofreader, that's great.  We
are all here to help.  However, if they are just lazy "careless slobs" and
looking for an easy way to save money on the Bookshare cost, they aren't
providing  a service and are more of a hindrance.  Surely that is not
acceptable?

If there's anything I've learned from my occupation, volunteers are always
welcome and appreciated.  However, some volunteers I deal with don't'
believe that what they do requires a level of excellence.  They believe that
just the act of volunteering, even if the job they do is completely
unsatisfactory, is still worthy of praise and should not be questioned.
That's a real shame.  What would not be a shame is having higher standards
then we currently do for proof-read books that are added to the collection.

After all, scans that are considered fair are no longer allowed.  The
standard has been raised for scanned material.  I feel the same should be
done for the work of validators.

Chris Feist - The one and only!

"Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart,
and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain."
- Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)