[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold for how long?

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:42:34 -0400

That sounds like the best solution is no solution at all. BookShare exists to have books entered into the collection. That's all it needs be bothered with. We should take some account of the hold for status, but not unduely so.

The limit on amount and time takes care of this quite nicely.

From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am not interested in the particular reason a particular
book is being  held
and I am not interested in the particular reason a
particular book is being
held for a particularly long time. That is between the
particular submitter
and the particular validator. That which concerns me is
that a book with a
"hold  for" status might languish in that status
for whatever reason, perhaps the
inability of the validater to validate it, for an
indefinite time while
someone  else could do the validation. That which I am
suggesting is that, perhaps,
a  separate "hold for" list could be established
in which each book would
have an  expiration date after which it would automatically
move to step 1 unless
the  person for whom it is being held renewed its
"hold for" status. I am
also not  suggesting that the renewal period be as short as
a week as it is on
step 2. I  am thinking in terms of a half year or a year.
Also, since a book in
"hold for"  status is really, for the period
during which it is on hold, is of
interest only  to the person for whom it is being held
then, perhaps, a book
marked "hold for"  by the submitter could
automatically go into the step 2
list of the person for  whom it is being held with a longer
expiration period. In
a message dated  9/11/2008 12:37:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight
Time,
thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:

Instead  of dealing with the hold books as a whole, please
try dealing
with each  book individually.

There are different reasons associated with each  book. So
the answer
you get about a particular book will involve what is  going
on with
that particular book. Just ask about any particular book
and  you can
learn about it.

E.

At 12:32 PM 9/11/2008, you  wrote:
>What I meant is that perhaps the "hold for"
books on step 1  could
>have an expiration date with the option to renew their
"hold  for"
>status on step 1. The suggestion is because, really, it
occurs to  me
>that a validator for whom a book is being held could
die and none  of
>us would ever know about it. In that case, just how
many years  would
>a book remain on step 1 marked "hold for?" In
a message dated
>9/11/2008 1:42:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
>Roger I renew a "hold for" the same way I
renew any other book  on
>step 2. So there is the option you requested  already.
>
>E.
>
>To repeat yesterday's message, if a  volunteer
finds a book with "hold
>for" and wants to know about it and  the volunteer
whose name appears
>on it, just write to the list and ask.  We are usually
polite to each
>other on this list. We can work things  out.
>
>It just upsets folks when somebody grabs a "hold
for" book  without
>asking first.
>
>I give a lot of time to  volunteering. During the past
six years I
>have validated hundred and  hundreds of books. However,
I actually
>have a life outside of  bookshare, there is a 5 book
queue and there
>are reasons for "hold for"  which others have
already described.

>E.
>
>To  unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email  to
>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>put the word  'unsubscribe' by itself in the
subject line.  To get a
>list of  available commands, put the word
'help' by itself in the subject
line.

>----------
>Psssst...Have  you heard the news?
><http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014>There's
>new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair
styles at
StyleList.com.

subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the  word 'help' by itself
in the subject line.

**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's
a new fashion blog,