[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold for how long?

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:19:44 -0400

Ann I totally agree with both your message and the style you use to express that message.

E.

At 03:17 PM 9/11/2008, you wrote:
Hi all,

Tracy, I think you should be concerned about the reasons why things are not done. This is a family here, a community. The crises which face our volunteers are felt by all of us. We care if someone is ill. We mourn if lose someone, we rejoyce when somebody has joy in their lives. It's what makes an online or any other community. This is a family. We're all working toward the same goal. Saying that you don't care about individual books or individual reasons for not finishing work shows me that you haven't tumbled to what's really going on here.

Yes, we're a group of strangers but we've all decided to work on a project together. Because we've decided to do that, the work of each individual benefits the whole. Therefore, if one part of the whole is lagging behind or isn't getting done and another person can help, that's what we do. We work together. You are a part of a family. Just as important as taking over unfinished work is allowing our community members to work at their own pace. I'd wager that ninety-five percent of us are truly committed to doing work for Bookshare. We all have lives and we all experience times when Bookshare has to take a back seat to life. I think that the volunteer community can accept this as part of our working style. We have to. We're volunteers. If we were professionals, it would be different, but we're volunteers. We're here because we are "willing" to be here.

Let the system continue Roger and Tracy. You'll find that it will all come out in the wash.

I just realized that I probably said a whole bunch of stuff that maybe Pahvi was thinking about saying. Pahvi, if I've stolen your thunder, I'm sorry.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring