[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold for how long?

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:01:02 -0400

Hi all,

Roger, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. My suggestion would be if a book stays on hold for longer than six months, then ask the person for whom it's being held if they still want it. Some books, for example, are being held for the India Project and they need time to get to them. Others are being held for regular volunteers. I have known some consciencious volunteers who have given up their holds because they couldn't deal with them any more for a variety of reasons.

See, Roger, the hold For was established so that a given pair of submitter and validator could work together. Some people want specific validators to work on their submissions. Others have submitted books requested by volunteers who have said they will validate if someone will scan.

These are all valid reasons for hold-fors. My advice, let the system alone, it's working. Don't fix it!

Now, if you're worried about somebody leaving us to travel to Heaven or that other place, we'd know. This is a pretty tight list of folks, and if somebody doesn't show who usually does show around here, somebody's gonna notice. the grapevine is alive and well. If somebody makes that Long Journey, we'll know.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring