[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold for how long?

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:44:21 EDT

I am not interested in the particular reason a particular book is being  held
and I am not interested in the particular reason a particular book is being
held for a particularly long time. That is between the particular submitter
and the particular validator. That which concerns me is that a book with a
"hold  for" status might languish in that status for whatever reason, perhaps
the
inability of the validater to validate it, for an indefinite time while
someone  else could do the validation. That which I am suggesting is that,
perhaps,
a  separate "hold for" list could be established in which each book would
have an  expiration date after which it would automatically move to step 1
unless
the  person for whom it is being held renewed its "hold for" status. I am
also not  suggesting that the renewal period be as short as a week as it is on
step 2. I  am thinking in terms of a half year or a year. Also, since a book in
"hold for"  status is really, for the period during which it is on hold, is of
interest only  to the person for whom it is being held then, perhaps, a book
marked "hold for"  by the submitter could automatically go into the step 2
list of the person for  whom it is being held with a longer expiration period.
In
a message dated  9/11/2008 12:37:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:

Instead  of dealing with the hold books as a whole, please try dealing
with each  book individually.

There are different reasons associated with each  book. So the answer
you get about a particular book will involve what is  going on with
that particular book. Just ask about any particular book and  you can
learn about it.

E.

At 12:32 PM 9/11/2008, you  wrote:
>What I meant is that perhaps the "hold for" books on step 1  could
>have an expiration date with the option to renew their "hold  for"
>status on step 1. The suggestion is because, really, it occurs to  me
>that a validator for whom a book is being held could die and none  of
>us would ever know about it. In that case, just how many years  would
>a book remain on step 1 marked "hold for?" In a message dated
>9/11/2008 1:42:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
>Roger I renew a "hold for" the same way I renew any other book  on
>step 2. So there is the option you requested  already.
>
>E.
>
>To repeat yesterday's message, if a  volunteer finds a book with "hold
>for" and wants to know about it and  the volunteer whose name appears
>on it, just write to the list and ask.  We are usually polite to each
>other on this list. We can work things  out.
>
>It just upsets folks when somebody grabs a "hold for" book  without
>asking first.
>
>I give a lot of time to  volunteering. During the past six years I
>have validated hundred and  hundreds of books. However, I actually
>have a life outside of  bookshare, there is a 5 book queue and there
>are reasons for "hold for"  which others have already described.
>
>E.
>
>To  unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email  to
>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>put the word  'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
>list of  available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.

>Psssst...Have  you heard the news?
><http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014>There's  a
>new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at
StyleList.com.