[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help me with The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 07:41:24 -0500

Hi all,

Original message:
I saw this at a tech conference and got a very good demo of the device. Covet, covet! I engaged in some serious drooling on that one. <lol>

Ah, but Kellie, you didn't answer Dr. Cross' question. The Icon, or Braille Plus, depending on from whom you buy it, is a Linux based PDA/computer. It comes in two parts, the small PDA which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, perhaps a bit bigger, but not much, and it's docking station which has a full-sized keyboard and a hard drive which is some whopping size, I forget what.

Now, this icon can: keep phone numbers and addresses, keep appointments, do word processing, has an excellent media center, reads DAISY both Bookshare and NLS books, reads RFB&D books, reads Audible books, think it does spreadsheets, has all kinds of connectivity like bluetooth and USB and so on, um, has Linux shell, can add additional programs to it, and probably more that I've forgotten to mention. I covet it too, but I want Braille support on it. You would use a Bluetooth braille display, but not sure exactly how it would work. I love my BrailleNote, and its onboard braille. <sigh> I just don't know what direction to go. I need to sit down and write up all the upgrades and stuff I need. Money, money, money, where is it? Anybody know where there's a money tree?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring