[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help!

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:23:05 -0700

I signed up to be a volunteer in January and figured out my problems to
get onto this list a few weeks ago but I arrived during the page
numbering debate and something about page breaks and thus, I have yet to
actually validate a book.  I may get there later this summer, for now I
am watching this list, personal events are taking my time at the moment,
but I hope eventually to begin doing some validating but I have to admit
all this discussion about which page breaks to use and which to get rid
of is confusing.

I have scanned four medical word books for my own personal use, I used
K1000 and let it do the page numbering.  I also have the University of
Phoenix version of the Craig  style guide scanned but am afraid to
submit any of these books due to the page numbering.  I believe that I
told K1000 to keep all blank pages, but I scanned these books in
November or December, so I am not absolutely sure on that.

Anyway, I could submit any of the five books but, I did not try to spell
check the medical word books since K1000 doesn't have medical words in
it.  I could, I suppose have put them through Word where I have
Stedman's spell checker installed, but have not really had the time to
do this, scanning these  books which had anywhere from 600 to 1000 pages
was a major undertaking, and I know that there are at least a couple of
duplicate pages.

I don't know if there would be much use for the word books, I suppose
the Craig  style manual, despite its reference to UOP could be useful, I
scanned it for my husband to use although I have read some of it and it
seems to be a reasonable scan.

I also scanned the Little Brown Book, a book University of Phoenix used
for style guidance before February of this year, that scan was my first
major undertaking and it did well except for some tables.  Again, it has
references to UOP in it, and it isn't the current book they are using,
however, it is a good style guide.  Not sure about submitting those
books either.

If anyone thinks I should or has suggestions on preparing these items
for validation let me know, I will try to get to it although right now
we are undergoing some home improvements that may mean I cannot do it in
a timely fashion.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx