[bksvol-discuss] Headers question for scanning

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:05:17 -0600

I have a question for scanning books for submission.
As I understand it, there is something called a stripper, which looks to the
top of each page for the page number, and strips out the text that is there,
which is usually repeated text like title on one page, chapter title or
author on the other.

Since as a listening reader to this book, the repetitive text is not really
essential and mostly just a distraction from the narrative, I like the Daisy
books I have downloaded from Bookshare where the page numbers are all that I
hear.  I figure this must be a recent thing, since many other Bookshare
books I have read do have the header text in there.

Now, my queistion --  Should we as scanners of the book remove this text?
I have heard folks talk about moving page numbers to top of page.  But I
have not heard yet if we should remove the text.

Hoping to start scanning The Big Bam, the new biography of Babe Ruth this
weekend.

If this is so, perhaps it could be stated in the information for the new
Bookshare members when they begin to scan and submit to our collection.

Thanks.
Rik