Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:10 PM
To: bksvol-discuss digest users
Subject: bksvol-discuss Digest V8 #365

bksvol-discuss Digest   Thu, 22 Dec 2011        Volume: 08  Issue: 365

In This Issue:
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Planning to scan
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Planning to scan
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Planning to scan
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Planning to scan
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Planning to scan
                [bksvol-discuss] How to Do Image Descriptions
                [bksvol-discuss] Approaching Publishers
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Approaching Publishers

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:14:05 -0600
From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Planning to scan

Shelly, I'd love to proofread all the critter related books in this set:
the James Herriot book (Animals tame & wild), the Joyce Altman book
(Lunch at the zoo), the JEff Guidry book (An eagle named freedom),  the
Lola Schaefer book (Wolves) and the Pen McQuay book (A wing in the
door), as you get them scanned. smile.
Judy s.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 02:37:17 -0600
From: MissWings <misswings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Shelley,
I'll proofread God;s Answers to Difficult Questions, if you'll put a
hold on it for me.

Speaking of holds, I notice there's quite a few books that seem to
have holds, but according to the dates they were submitted, some of
them have been up there for months,  and some for a year or
more.  Does anyone know what the policy is, if someone doesn't claim
their book holds for some reason?  I just thought I'd ask, while I
was thinking about it.

Jessica

------------------------------

From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:23:42 -0800

Hi Jess,

If a book has been on the checkout page for a long time, then I suggest you
express your interest here in the particular title, and say for whom the
hold was placed.  It is possible that the person for whom a hold was placed
is no longer interested in proofreading the book, or can't proofread it for
some reason.  If the person for whom the hold was placed is willing to give
up the opportunity to proofread the book, they can let you know, and you can
check it out.  It's always a good idea to ask here before checking out a
book with a hold on it.

Good luck.

Mayrie

  _____

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 06:19:33 -0600
From: MissWings <misswings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I make sure not to grab anything with a hold on it, just for that
reason.  I'll go through the list later when I'm a bit more awake,
and see if anything catches my interest.

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:00:45 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>

Every now and then on this list the topic of inordinately long holds
comes up. Eventually Carrie or someone from Bookshare will announce a
new policy on expiration of holds, whether it be three months or a year
or whatever. Then maybe a few holds are removed and then the policy
seems to be forgotten and we are back to holds languishing for a year or
more again.

From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:57:15 -0800
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] How to Do Image Descriptions

ªiÈz%‰Ö²³ð¢êez—¨¦W¡j÷š²G~ŠëyúÞ²«™«^®&¥²‰î²)à>‡­¶ˆ§±êíŠf y׬r¸©¶*'²)í
(’ÈZ­æè¢K0ŠØb™¨³ð,–‰à¶)ž¾‰nž×ž®É'£
¨²Ú¢êÛ¢‰,v‰è¶¯z)šëÿ"{a¢ÇœjǬ«zØ^¦º(~·šuêÝyȝyÛhŠw%¹×zÇ+Š›b¢{-…ëÁêÞr‰íj)Þw­†)ìªæ«yºÚrG­±©Ý¶zÇ+Š›b¢|²)ìz»^u«m…é^½éh~Ø^nŠ$µìmüúµ×¬r¸©¶*'±ªÞŠ{®×Š{h¶—0·(u궛¢‰ÿ°0I‡â•ïÓ†+–Z0²kœ†j+zÚyÚ'{­†Ø^™¼š¦™bq«b¢{"Énv)à†'bž
azf¥¶ˆ¶«~Ší†‹Â0ŠÈm¢·šw­†‹­¶¢™¨uë®*mŠ‰ìý:,µªívˆ§×¬r¸©¶*'³­„ú·*.šë-­è"²×«…êÞþm¦ÏÿýØš‚¶¦þ«¢Kš¦ŸÜ¢oØ¢çžÇ¥yËZnŠ$Ê‹°¢é]–)¶Œ(®J'jwm…éߢYhÂØ^±ëiý¼ÿ²×©Š{-®ç-Š‰ìºÈ§‚Ø^·

¶Öœ…ç]¡Ë¦z{lý8^¦¸¨®+rnŠ$·*^±ë[Ê‹«r‰í­§-Â+a9!ŠË^ÆÖè¢K0ŠØZ~‡.²‰ìr'§qïíyÈg¢Z
Ë÷§‚)Þz¸§ƒö§vf­‡ôájج­çåyË^v)í…æ­µ§!yÖè¢Ib²Öî¶Ø^¶)žÂ)er‰žÂ§Ê‹œj|(®J'j|¢‰,…ªÞnŠ$Â+aŠf
 zÏÁzØbžH§¦èºÜ!jÛ®'¬Ê‹¦ŠmÁ©í¶†Þqªmj)ߢ¶§vËZ®Ù^¶Ø§ƒ*.®šÞ}êޝǬmé'£  ÿIÊ-µ¢

------------------------------

From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Approaching Publishers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:58:02 +0000

Hi,
If a publisher would start to supply books for Bookshare, is the preferred way
to make this happen to have BookShare staff do this, or is it OK for a
volunteer, who wishes to be trained or instructed, to do something like this.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810.

________________________________

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:44:34 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Approaching Publishers

Bookshare has its own publisher liaison. It might be a good idea,
though, to contact that publisher liaison and suggest a publisher to
contact.

------------------------------

From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:25:27 -0800

Roger is right Jim. Staff makes contact with publishers. Send your
suggestions to Alisa Moore. She wil route it internally
Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:31:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Robin Seaman is the publisher liaison and is very helpful and approachable.  You
can reach her at: Robin  Seaman <robins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  with potential contacts
and request, unless she wants them funneled through Alisa, the new volunteer
coordinator.  We had such an extensive list after attending ALA that we worked
directly with Robin and she was wonderful!
Hope this helps!
 Valerie

Keep up with Nichole's recovery:

________________________________
Bookshare has its own publisher liaison. It might be a good idea,
though, to contact that publisher liaison and suggest a publisher to
contact.

On 12/22/2011 1:58 PM, Homme, James wrote:
> Hi,
> If a publisher would start to supply books for Bookshare, is the preferred way
>to make this happen to have BookShare staff do this, or is it OK for a
>volunteer, who wishes to be trained or instructed, to do something like this.
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
> Jim Homme,
> Usability Services,
> Phone: 412-544-1810.
>

> ________________________________
>
> This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely
>for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
>received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
>delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use,
>disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission.
>The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the
>views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.
>   To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to

End of bksvol-discuss Digest V8 #365