[bksvol-discuss] Great News to look forward to, Brace Yourselves!

  • From: "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:25:03 -0700

Hello all I just purchased a book from a publisher/university called Craft Of
Research and the people are so nice. I just happened to spread the news about
bookshare, saying I volunteer to help make books accessible to those who can't
read printed material or access them for that matter. I just received some
great news in progress and I'll keep you all posted! See below:
Hi--

I'm very sorry the download page isn't working with your screen reader. I'll
talk to the folks who put it together and see if it can be made more
readable--I believe, unfortunately, that the download button depends on
Flash, which may complicate that task.

I am sending you, therefore, two alternatives for getting the book on your
machine.

OPTION 1: The standard all-in-one download page (which your reader doesn't
like):

This link will give you a copy of the Craft of Research, 3rd edition, for
180 days:

http://www.bibliovault.org/cgi-bin/DeliverADE.epl?transid=9uAxsgd19sewry2J

OPTION 2: Link to the software + the book file:

Step A: You need to have the Digital Editions app on your computer. I
believe the current release is 1.7.1. If you need it, you can download it
from: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#download

Step B: Once Digital Editions is successfully installed, use it to open the
attached .acsm file. That'll deliver the book.

-----------------------------------

Also, thank you for mentioning Bookshare..!

The University of Chicago Press has begun to work with Bookshare to make our
books available there--but it will probably be a few months before you see
our titles there, as we are just getting set up now to send them files,
which I believe will then need to be converted to DAISY format...?

I can hang onto your email address, if you don't mind, and let you know when
I hear Chicago books are showing up at the Bookshare site.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the file.

Best,
--Kate

On 7/7/09 5:02 PM, "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes I'd like the third addition, however, the tool to download the  book is
> not screen reader friendly, is this available in PDF from adobe?
> I'm totally blind and volunteer for a non-profit organization which helps
> aid in providing books in accessible formats to those who are unable to read
> print, like me called bookshare which you can find about us at bookshare.org
> and join the publishers already partnering up with us.
> Thanks, Chela

Very exciting, don't you think? All I said was check you guys out, wow what a
response!

Email: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx
Messenger: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxxxx