[bksvol-discuss] Re: Got the credit and a suggestion

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:51:02 -0400

That is exactly the problem. One can come up with a variety of categories and if we get enough categories to satisfy everyone then it would be entirely unwieldy. That is why I am going to offer a suggestion that I have offered before even though I don't feel like it has much chance of being acted on. There is a feature on a lot of sites called tags. I have found it at Amazon, Paperback Swap,Open Library and others. A user can label any catalog entry with a tag that may range from a category or subcategory to a note like "stored in my basement." When looking at a catalog entry the most popular tags would appear at the top and less popular tags might be hidden so that it would be necessary to click a tab labeled more to see them. If you click the tag itself you will see a list of all catalog entries that have received that tag and if you don't see the tag you are looking for then you could do a search for it and if anyone has ever tagged one or more entries with it then those would come up. If I sat here and tried to think of useful categories I could probably come up with hundreds. They might be really useful, but the category structure simply would not handle them and it would be a nightmare to browse through them. Tags would fulfill the function though. If Scott is reading this then I would like to suggest floating the idea to whomever handles things like that.

"The ruling class makes wars and the working class fights them." - Eugene V. Debs

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com