[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: The book you submitted to Bookshare is now in the library

Vivian,
Congratulations!
Scott Rains
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Vivian Flores [vivian@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 10:09 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: books being scanned
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Fwd: The book you submitted to Bookshare is now in
the library

Hello Everyone;

YAY!! The nonfiction book I submitted is now in the library! Enjoy!

Good Fortune: My Journey to Gold Mountain by Li Wong

Brief Synopsis:
In this dramatic memoir of early-twentieth century immigration, the author
shares her family's difficult but ultimately triumphant journey from their
small village in rural China, through detention and interrogation at Angel
Island, to a new life in
Long Synopsis:
In this dramatic memoir of early-twentieth century immigration, the author
shares her family's difficult but ultimately triumphant journey from their
small village in rural China, through detention and interrogation at Angel
Island, to a new life in Oakland's Chinatown. THE YEAR IS 1933, and
seven-year-old Li Keng's life is about to change forever. Her father has
decided to bring his family from a small village in southern China to "Gold
Mountain," the United States. California. Now Li Keng, Mama, and her two
sisters will embark on a remarkable journey that will take them halfway around
the world. Getting to America is not easy. The family travels by foot, by
train, and by boat. Even more difficult is getting past America's strict
anti-Chinese immigration laws. To do so, the family must keep secrets and offer
well-rehearsed lies to American officials. The Gees are detained for processing
along with other Asian immigrants at Angel Island, in San Francisco Bay. The
conditions are harsh and uncertainty and fear hang in the air. Any misstep
could mean deportation. Life in America during the Great Depression brings many
exciting surprises as well as a few disappointments. Li Keng loves the American
school she attends each day and she makes friends with other children in her
neighborhood. Hunger, poverty, police raids, frequent moves, and the occasional
sting of racism are a part of everyday life, but slowly Li Keng and her family
find stability and a true home in "Gold Mountain." An author's note contains
photos and an update on her family. The book contains information on Angel
Island and its significance in history as well as an explanation of the Chinese
Exclusion Act

We are pleased to inform you that your submission of Good Fortune: My Journey
to Gold Mountain by Li Wong has been reviewed, accepted, and added to the
Bookshare collection. Eligible members of the Bookshare community now have the
opportunity to enjoy your book in an accessible format.

Thank you very much for your efforts and making this possible!
Thank you, The Bookshare Team

End of message, please ignore any links below.
[cid:[email protected]]