[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Looking for a children's book with little info

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 22:26:41 -0500

Hurray for Aunt Book! She is a really wonderful person and an amazing children's librarian. She's the one who introduced me to the Cherry Ames books. smile.

This book is one I'll eagerly keep on eye out for when you get it and add it to the collection. I looked up the author, and I've read her book "North to Freedom," which was made into the movie "I Am David." That was an outstanding story, too.

Judy

Valerie Maples wrote:
Judy and list;

Aunt Book is amazing!!! In just a few hours she had found my book and I have a copy on order. I am hoping maybe Jamie will scan it ("Peter" by Anne Holm) and I can savor proofreading it.

A portion of its description from below is:

*Book description: *New York: Harcourt, Brace and World, Inc., 1968 By the author of North to Freedom, which won the 1963 Gyldendale Prize for the best Scandinavian children's book. Historical fiction. This is a highly imaginative fantasy/adventure. Young Peter finds himself in ancient Greece, where he and new friend Cimon uncover the plans of an advancing army in time to save the town. Then its on to post- Conquest England and the squabbles of Rosamund the Norman and Torquil the Saxon. Before returning home to Demark, Peter makes a stop in the England of Oliver Cromwell. Translated from the Danish by L.W. Kingsland.

I cannot wait to reread this childhood favorite and add it to the collection.

Judy, you and Aunt Book rock!

Valerie

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *auntbook@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:auntbook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Date: *May 7, 2010 8:29:38 PM CDT
*To: *Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
*Subject: **Re: Looking for a children's book with little info*

My dear Niece,

I believe the book you seek is PETER, by Anne Holm. The American edition was published in 1965 by Harcourt, Brace & World. It was originally published in Denmark. Here's a description from a seller on Biblio.com <http://Biblio.com>:

*Book description: *New York: Harcourt, Brace and World, Inc., 1968 Bright, square, tight, and unmarked. Sharp corners. A remarkably fresh, crisp, and clean copy. Not a book club edition. Not price clipped (3.75). No owner's name or bookplate. No remainder mark. Fine Dust Jacket is protected by a removable Brodart clear-plastic sleeve. By the author of North to Freedom, which won the 1963 Gyldendale Prize for the best Scandinavian children's book. Historical fiction. This is a highly imaginative fantasy/adventure. Young Peter finds himself in ancient Greece, where he and new friend Cimon uncover the plans of an advancing army in time to save the town. Then its on to post- Conquest England and the squabbles of Rosamund the Norman and Torquil the Saxon. Before returning home to Demark, Peter makes a stop in the England of Oliver Cromwell. Translated from the Danish by L.W. Kingsland. Original gray cloth. First Printing of the First US Edition . Hard Cover. New condition/Fine dust jacket. Illus. by Mars, W. T. (jacket art) . 8vo. 224pp. http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=175885336&aid=bkfndr&t=1 <http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=175885336&aid=bkfndr&t=1>

There are also several copies available (cheaper) from www.abebooks.com <http://www.abebooks.com>.

Please let me know whether this is the correct book, so that I can post it in the proper place on my website.

And I always like to think of Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap!

Very truly yours,

Aunt Book