[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw:O.T.: WHERE WAS THE PROOF READER?

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:19:38 -0500

I have learned more about my computer crash. It was not a virus or a worm. It was my hard disk going bad.

Fortunately I have much of it backed up on a portable hard disk. I must say i find portable hard disks marvelous. it is possible to hook them up to a USB port where they function just like a hard disk inside a computer. They make backing up files and moving files from computer to computer a snap.

As for being careful, I do know folks suggest the use of routers to stop certain kinds of invasions as well as software-based security such as anti-virus oprograms and spy protection. Everybody has their own ideas about which specific pieces of hardware and software work but many are free or very low cost and can be set up to function in the background without any or very little action from the actual computer user.

The good news is they think they can grab everything off my old disk and give me a new one. No idea quite when the computer will be home. We are in the middle of a snow storm so scheduling in the area is going to have to wait a few days.

E.