From: "Gustavo Galindo" <Gustavo.G@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 3:55 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: Recommended Diversions: "Blindness" by
Jose Saramago(book review)

Louise,

this book has been available on Bookshare.org for quite a while.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=2232

ironically enough, this is the book i had just finished reading when my
position at Bookshare.org became available.

the story is pretty violent, but excellently written.

gustavo

Jose
> Saramago(book review)
>
> I'd like to seee this book scanned and submitted to Bookshare.
>

> Waynesville Smoky Mountain News, NC
> Wednesday, May 25, 2005
>
> Recommended Diversions: "Blindness" by Jose Saramago (book review)
>
> By Gary Carden
>
> This allegorical novel by a Nobel Prize winner has only become
available
> in
> the United States this year. As the title suggests, the plot deals
with a
> world in which "white blindness" suddenly spreads like a plague.
> Bewildered
> governments herd the blind into camps and within a short time, the
blind -
> although helpless - become the majority. Saramago focuses on a single
camp
> and a woman who can see but pretends to be blind so that she can stay
with
> her husband. Inevitably, the existing social order collapses, power
> struggles emerge, and the blind find themselves dealing with
predictable
> needs: hunger, sex and fear. This novel resonates with themes from
other
> allegorical works - Camus' The Plague, Kafka's The Trial, Golding's
The

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/05_05/05_25_05/art_rec_div.html

> --

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.