[bksvol-discuss] Fw: Re: Science Fiction Book Club for July is ready for proofing

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Science Fiction Book Club for July is being
scanned
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 8:18 PM

OK, the book described below has been submitted and is ready for proofing....

Misha

Since the July selection for the SF book club (Unreasoning Mask by
Philip Jose Farmer) is rated as fair on bookshare, and I have a copy, I
will do a BSO (especially since my copy has 260 pages and bookshare says
that copy is 122 pages, there couldn't be that much difference even
between paperback and hardcover) .  I should be able to finish in 2 or 3
days, then if someone could do a fast (but not too fast) validation,
anyone who hasn't picked up the book somewhere else could read it.

Another reason I decided to do this BSO, bookshare has no synopsis and
appropriately the blurb on the first page starts "In lieu of a plot
synopsis..." and then continues, "To say that the plot defies synopsis
is an understatement, that is a major part of the book's charm.  You
keep waiting for the hero to trip over the author's loose ends; when he
doesn't, you end up cheering.  With such an unpredictable story line, it
would seem impossible to create a surprise ending.  Yet Farmer manages
to achieve that too. --Penthouse"

Also, I'm sending this to both lists because it has to do with the SF
book club and volunteering.  So, Cindy, if you could put "Unreasoning
Mask by Philip Jose Farmer" on the being scanned list, thanks.

Misha