[bksvol-discuss] Fundraising for Bookshare.org

  • From: "Janice Carter" <Janice.C@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:43:07 -0700

We take all of your fundraising suggestions and forward to Peggy Gibbs, our VP
Business Development.  Peggy's done an awesome job in setting up a long term
process for various fundraising programs and for approaching foundations &
major donors.  One of the ideas discussed a few days ago (inspired by Monica)
was to work together (staff and volunteers) to create a program or package that
we/you could take to the local Lion's Clubs (sponsor students?, buy certain
books?, sponsor a school?, etc.)

If you have any suggestion that could be replicated across the country, please
send them to me.

We currently have a number of ways to receive <large smile here> donations.
One is at the Benetech website where there is a full page on the various ways
donations can be made.
That url is http://www.benetech.org/donate/ways.shtml#making

The other great way to get donations to Bookshare.org is to send folks to url
https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=2863.

The money we receive this way is not that large but it has helped to defray
some of the costs of acquiring the New York Times best sellers (yes, you now
know the "anonymous" donor).

Despite the lack of immediate return on your suggestions, all (including
technical, content, fundraising, etc.) are incorporated into Benetech's and
Bookshare.org's growth plans.

Janice Carter
Director, Literacy Programs

Benetech